Bring your possibility to life! Define your career with us
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
A credit professional acting as credit expert to the relationship team and conduit to the Corporate Credit function for sanctioning purposes.
Responsible for developing practical and appropriate credit solutions (i.e. lending structures) through understanding customers’ needs.
Delivering high quality and consistent credit applications.
Delivering high quality counterparty reports to Board and Management – Credit Committees.
Maintaining integrity of Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) data, ensuring financial and other information is updated, consistent and accurate.
Actively managing the CCRS submission diary to ensure overdue reports are no more than 5% (adjusted) of the lending book.
Identifying potential problem accounts early by actively managing the early warning process, timely actioning of monthly Risk Control reports and, where necessary, referring impaired lendings to the sanctioning point expeditiously after advising/agreeing with the RM.
Providing support in the origination of New Business Committee/Deal Forum applications.
Origination of Interim and Annual Reviews.
Ensuring regular contact with/visits to existing and new clients.
Understanding the Credit/ Solutions
Time Split: 30%
- Assessing a customer’s business through the analysis of business and credit risks associated with the provision of the bank’s products and services.
- Developing high quality credit solutions with a view to obtaining fast credit approval from the sanctioning point.
- Highlighting key risks and identifying mitigants.
- Commenting on the risk/reward relationship (including Risk Tendency/ RORWA calculations).
- Presenting a complete and accurate trading position and prospects of the underlying business.
- Providing inputs into structuring of facilities (product, tenor, security etc.) and suggesting suitable restrictive covenants and conditions (both financial and non-financial).
- Ensuring data integrity of all aspects of the CCRS.
- Ensuring CCRS applications comply with policies/guidelines.
- Developing and imbedding a robust monitoring and control regime to ensure any deterioration in the quality of the underlying credit is identified early and corrective strategies adopted.
- Accompanying RMs on customer visits or calls when opportunity scoping or case building.
The Credit Process
- Preparation, in liaison with the relevant RM, of CCRS annual review applications with paper attachments for recommendation to the sanctioning point.
- Preparation, in liaison with the relevant RM, of CCRS interim reviews on a case-by-case basis as agreed with the RM.
- Liaising directly with the sanctioning office for all local credit sanctions after agreement of deal structure with RM.
- Obtaining local sanctioner support for any external sanction credits.
- Delivering high quality counterparty reports to Board and Management – Credit Committees.
- Ensuring that any requests for mark forwards clearly state the reasons with confirmation that there is no material deterioration in the underlying risk profile of the borrower.
- Providing constructive guidance, including discussion on specific proposals, through effective and appropriate communication.
- Reviewing and signing off facility letters.
- Reviewing guarantees.
Portfolio Management- Monitoring and Control
- Analyzing management and financial information produced by customers.
- Discussing with sanctioners deteriorating trends and trigger events if they give cause for concern, advising the RM simultaneously.
- Reviewing, in conjunction with RMs, EWL1 strategy sheets and sign off every quarter.
- Analyzing drivers of DGs and RT profiles with a view to improving risk profiles, and making appropriate commentary at annual reviews.
- Ensuring that CCRS applications meet RORWA guidelines and that any deviations below the benchmark score have the sign off of the Corporate Banking Director.
- Identifying potential problem accounts early by actively managing the early warning process, timely actioning of monthly Risk Control reports and, where necessary, referring impaired lendings to the sanctioning point expeditiously after advising/agreeing with the RM.
- Responsible for overdue reports within group and local minimum thresholds currently 9% and 5% respectively.
- Effectively liaising with local sanctioning teams as to the status of transactions submitted for functional credit approval.
- Consulting RMs on amendments or additions to existing conditions of sanction before making recommendations to point of sanction.
- Providing constructive guidance, including discussion on specific proposals at an early stage, in problem situations.
Reviewing and executing documents with Power of Attorney mandate
- Adhering to group and local health and safety standards.
- Ensuring audit and compliance issues are fully addressed.
- Contribute towards the team achieving its financial targets.
- Supporting the team leaders in delivering effective performance development for individuals within the team.
- Driving proactive application of Barclays Behaviours both personally and throughout the team and coach and support colleagues within the Team.
Managing relationships with all key stakeholders to ensure that the larger Barclays team is pulling together.
Technical skills / Competencies
- Analytical and numerate
- Communications and presentation skills
- Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) and IT skills
- Internal instructions/ procedures including BAGL guidelines, Wholesale Credit Policy, Risk Acceptance Criteria (RAC).
- Products and services frequently used by customers.
- Knowledge of Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) and other bank systems.
- Awareness of legislation affecting the Bank and customers having the highest regard for confidentiality
- Detailed knowledge of credit analysis techniques.
Experience / Qualifications
- Proven experience in a Credit role at a junior management level gained within the Bank or blue-chip financial organisation.
- Excellent understanding of credit and associated risks.
- Experienced user of Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) or a similar system to analyse, monitor and report on credit applications.
- Good interpersonal skills that have been proven in a Business or Credit environment at a management level.
The ACIB professional qualification or equivalent.
Bachelor`s Degrees and Advanced Diplomas: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)